Sunday, February 23, 2014

 My project car




1970 Mercury Cougar

I bought it in 1998. This car was originally a 351 Cleveland/ fmx transmission car. It is a base model. For a base model it had lots of good options. Air conditioning, power steering, power disc brakes and a 9 inch rear end. This is a big curvy car that stands out from the rest. I ran the 351c for a couple of years. The camshaft had seized so I rebuilt the engine in high school auto shop. Of course I did it all wrong. Compression was too high, the heads were 4 barrel , the valve springs were shimmed too tight and eventually flattened the camshaft. All this happened after I converted to a t-5 manual which I blew up going into 3rd gear. Something to do with too much power a heavy car and a dumb driver. In my mind the 351c was good for nothing. It was too hard to work on, too heavy and there was more bang for buck to be had else where. Fast forward to now. I did a couple years of research and decided on a single turbocharger. The low and midrange torque was very attractive for my heavy car.


I put 273hp/285tq on a Mustang dyno,  before the turbo. I put down 430hp/488tq on a Dynojet with the turbo. This is a tire frier. I can spin 2nd gear anytime.

Current combination
89 302, stock bottom end unknown miles
Master power t-70 with .68 exhaust housing, running 9 psi
Holley 600 dp E.V. hat
Edelbrock Performer rpm intake with 1" 4 hole spacer (Just installed a Torquer 2)
Steeda no.18 cam .510,.510 220/226 duration 112 lobe sep. With 1.7 rocker arms.
CNC Powerheads E7te 1.90/1.60 valves, ARP headstuds, 9333pt1 felpro headgaskets
Timing locked at 16 deg on 91 octane
Tremec 3550 5 spd
3.25 rear gears


 Since this dyno session I have installed a torquer 2 single plane intake manifold. I am looking for better fuel distribution and maybe shift the power up in the rpm range.  I am currently re tuning the carburetor with my new Innovate LM-2.

Transmission
Tremec 3550 5 spd
Pro 5.0 shifter
Lakewood scatter shield
Hays clutch (Will go Spec 3 later)
Diy cable clutch( will go hydraulic later)
Dark horse performance crossmember ( out of business)

Suspension

I am keeping the shock towers!
Front:
620 springs, kyb shocks, (I want Bilistein shocks later)
Roller spring perches
1" swaybar
I want to do the CPP lower control arms kit
Unisteer manual rack ( I want the power rack)

Rear:
Stiff 5 leaf , leafsprings. I want to stay leaf spings.
I want the Maier panhard rod.

Brakes
Power disc
Front:
70 drum spindles
Mustang Steve brackets
Cobra PBR calipers
13" slotted rotors
Stainless brake hose
Rear:
Drum for now( Will go disc later)

Wheels
I have 17x9 Cobra r wheels.
Fronts: 255/40/17
Rear: 315/35/17 Big factory wheel wells!

I plan on 18x9   275/35/18
              18x12 335/30/18 ( Have to measure carefully)

Fuel system
Factory tank for now( will do a sumped factory later)
3/8" feed
1/2" return
I need to upgrade since that is the outer diameter.
External BBK 255 lph fuel pump
Aeromotive 13204 regulator.

Exhaust
1.5" shorty headers facing forward.
2.5" crossover pipe, merges to a 3" pipe at the turbo.
46mm wastegate with 1.75" pipe plummed into the downpipe.
3" downpipe, split to dual 2.5" tailpipes behind each tire with Full Boar Max flow mufflers.
This car is silent! See my youtube channel.





No comments:

Post a Comment